My Crochet Journey So Far

I learned to crochet when I was 16. My Great Grandmother was living with us at the time. She was a prolific crocheter. I had broken up with a boyfriend and was moping around the house. My Grandmother couldn't stand it so she sat me down and taught me how to crochet. She taught me how to crochet the granny square and let me tell you that that was the HUGEST granny square afghan that anyone has ever made! I just kept going and going and going! I slowly branched out from making afghans to making sweaters and other things. I don't intend to post patterns because these are not my original designs. I just thought it would be fun to have some sort of record of what I have made and who it went to.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Nativity set-September 2017

I fell in love with this nativity set last year but didn't buy it because I was swamped with other projects. But it has stayed in the back of my head all year long and so I finally went and bought it. Now I think I have become a bit more ambitious than I have time for but I am going to go for it and try and make at least 4 sets and maybe even 5. Here is the first set. I think they turned out adorable even though they are way bigger than I thought they would be!

Angel without face. I put the eyes on after the picture I guess. I am going to trim the hair up some more because this angel looks too girly to me. 

Baby Jesus


Joseph

Mary

Camel-all of the legs are kind of wobbly, as I make them I'm sure I will improve on technique.


Donkey was fun! I mean, look at that mane!!!


The sheep was fun as well and really is pretty fun to hold if you are a tactile person!


Shepherd-again I think I will improve as I go on, I'm not happy with his hat at the moment, but it is sewn on already and I am not fixing it. The next one I will make sure fits the head better.

The whole set-I want to make 5 of these! I know, I am crazy! They are fun to make!



There are also patterns for 3 wise men but I didn't make those since my son-in-law always points out that the wise men didn't show up until Jesus was a couple of years old and living in a house by then! ha! But if you are traditional and want the whole set they are available so you can do whatever floats YOUR boat! The set whips up pretty quickly. I finished two in a day when I did nothing else. The set took me about a week to finish. The instructions are excellent as I have come to expect of Mary. She also created the instructions for the superhero dolls that I made. Step by step with pictures so I highly recommend her patterns. The nativity set calls for safety eyes which I don't use. I just whip stitched some eyes on with yarn. That way you don't have to worry about the little ones choking on them. They are weighted and I used glass rocks in the bottoms of each of the people. Go HERE for the pattern by Mary Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment